Wednesday, February 28, 2007

How God Got My Attention...

I woke up Monday morning at 8:15 and was flipping thru my 3 favorite radio stations trying to find any of the co-hosts on one of their "breaks" (when they are on the air) b/c I like to listen to their topics and discussions. The first one that I came upon began recapping what they had just mentioned about 2-3 minutes ago. And lo and behold, I found them talking about me! I was like, "What?! That wasn't supposed to be on the air! That was a personal convo..." I was so caught off guard and shocked! And quite honestly, it was really the last thing I wanted to hear after having the weekend I just had. I felt anonymously exposed... but you know what? I learned a lot, and God got my attention loud and clear. To give you some context and the full story, here is the convo b/t me and the radio host that went on behind the scenes via email... (I will keep the station anonymous as they kept me anonymous.)

_______________

(Most of these first 2 emails are what was discussed on the air.)


I'm glad everything is working out for you for the trip. After reading your application I was surprised to read you're not involved in a church. You seem to be the type of person who would really miss not being involved in a church. Can't you find a cool church that meets on a weeknight?

morning co-host
______________


Well the whole church thing kind of has a long story... but I can TRY to keep it short but don't count on it... :)

I have really tried to find a good church that has a group my age... [I tried 2 different mega-churches] b/c they have groups my age that meet during the week. It's tough to "break" into a church when it's huge and you don't know anyone, especially not going on Sunday. I used to go w/ my friends to Wed. night church at [the one church] and liked it, but then they stopped going on Wed. and just went on Sunday. Believe me, it's not easy or fun going by yourself, not knowing anyone and sitting by yourself. Been there, done that. Didn't enjoy it.

And most smaller churches don't offer much for people my age at all! That is the MOST frustrating thing. I feel like the church is neglecting the 20-something age group. When I heard that [your station planned something] for people ages 18 and up, I thought that was awesome. Those things are NEEDED for my age group b/c there's nothing out there for us!

I've also tried attending college-and-career groups at both [of those mega-churches]. [The one] was okay, but hard to make friends as I didn't know anyone at all (and they didn't always show up every week). It wasn't the best "church" group either. I went to [the other church's] group for about six months. It was hard for me to relate to anyone over there b/c [no one was really career-minded, which is where I am at right now]. I did make friends w/ a group at [that church] for those 6 months. Then things didn't go well b/c the girl I was closest to was expressing more and more of her immaturity, so I stepped away from that. Things were starting to go bad in that group anyway. Their leader was going to leave, and people would bad talk some of the things going on, etc... It was time to leave... I had had enough.

So, basically, [the Christian radio stations] have become my alternative church family. I get my spiritual nourishment and challenges by listening to my friends on the air, and at times I listen to the programs that are on t/o the day for spiritual nourishment. I get my fellowship when I'm at the station. A really good friend of mine over at the station has been a great mentor to me and continues to challenge me spiritually.

If you knew about Caiden (my friend's 3 y/o son who's fighting cancer of the eyes), you would know that I'm getting spiritually challenged thru that. God (and my friend, Caiden's mom, has kept me spiritually challenged this whole 1 1/2 years and it continues... I have grown more spiritually in the last 1 1/2 years than I ever have. God is amazing me all the time, even when I don't deserve it. I have witnessed several miracles in this last year and a half. It's been quite a ride (both up and down)...

So that's the long and short end of it all. Sorry, it's so long, but you kind of asked a loaded question... :)

Amanda

_____________

Without using your name, we shared part of your e-mail on the radio this
morning and got a great response. I'll give you a CD of what people had
to say about weekday church meetings for 20-somethings. There might be a
few groups in your area you might want to check out.

morning co-host
_____________

I heard that! Not like feeling "convicted" at 8:15 in the morning LOL. I had just woke up and besides the music, it was the first thing I heard this AM. :) I will gladly listen to the CD. Thank you. But, it's not like I haven't tried! I tried for probably 6-9 months [to find a good week-day home church].


Amanda

______________

One of the first people to call this morning was a guy very active in the singles group at [one of the churches you attended]. He said it's a very easy group to "break into", that they always try to make visitors feel welcome, etc. Then we told him you went to that group for six months and couldn't seem to break in. He was pretty discouraged when he heard that.

I think there are many people out there who feel the same way you do so it was good for us to talk about. The problem is most 20-something's don't want anything to do with the "traditional" church. Because of that the church on the whole doesn't target them. There were a few profound things shared this morning. One was, does a 20 something need to worship with other 20 something's. Don't our bonds in Christ transcend age barriers? The other was that the church on the whole needs to do a better job at welcoming guests and including them. That was a good reminder for me because I'm terrible at that. I talk to the same people every week at my church.

morning co-host
______________
______________


So that's what I faced at 8:15 Monday AM. Wasn't quite prepared for that, especially after the weekend I had just had (very stressful and intense). Some of those calls were pretty "convicting". You should have heard some of them. Now I know how on-air staff feel when they get ostracized. All I can say is, it's not like I haven't tried getting involved in church! I tried for like 9 months!


On the other hand, after hearing the discussion on the air, I have started to realize that maybe God is really trying to get thru to me... That I need to set more time aside for Him and work on my relationship w/ Him more. That's what I took from all this b/c I know I've been lax in my relationship w/ God lately. I know I need to set MORE time aside for Him, but I have just been keeping myself too busy for Him. I think He figured this was the only way He was going to get my attention b/c He knows I always have the radio on filling in the quiet times in my life. Well, guess what?! He was right! HE DID get my attention LOUD & CLEAR! I spent 2+ hours alone with God that Monday. And it was THE most refreshing and spiritually renewing 2+ hours I have had with God in a VERY long time. God is amazing. He taught me a lot on Monday...

So... Upset? a little. Learning from it? a lot.

You know, God knows how to get our attention when He needs to. He knows us and He knows our antics to keep ourselves too busy to spend time w/ Him. So be watching and listening, b/c He may be trying to get your attention... And you may be very surprised by the method He will use to get it! I know I was.

P.S. Please be careful w/ what you share w/ some on-air personnel b/c you never know what might be taken to the airwaves.

1 comment:

Jenelle said...

Let me tell you - I think all 20-somethings have been in the same place as you. I remember my 2-year search for a church. I wanted something relavent, with a group my age, things to do, etc.

God really took me through a 2-year wilderness for me to learn it isn't about what I want in a church as much as what can I give in a church and how God can speak to me. I ended up in a small church with very few people my age. But they are people that sincerly love and worship God. I was sought out to do ministry, valued for my contributions, and maybe a bit overused.

My prayers go out for you during your search but DO NOT GIVE UP. It is part of a process of God working in you, molding you. Maybe it is to help others like yourself who don't feel like they are drawn into the church. Believe it or not, but this time can be a gift of God preparing you for something for His kingdom.

As beneficial as friends and radio maybe - there is still something more powerful about corporate worship of believers together and the way God works through accountability of a group. Having been on both sides, I can say that it was definitely worth the struggle.