Wednesday, January 3, 2007

I shook Steve Ford's Hand


I had the honor of shaking President Ford's son's hand after viewing President Ford's casket last night. It was a great honor and privilege. He is a very humble man and expressed his gratefulness for all the support given to his family in Grand Rapids. We are very honored to have the Ford family present in our city.

Steve Ford said, "Dad would be proud of this line." And after someone said to him, "Our prayers are with you." He responded, "Pray for mom, b/c she's going to make it through." When I shook his hand and said, "Our prayers are with you," he responded by pausing, giving me eye contact and holding my hand a little longer. Yes, an honor to say the least. The Ford's are so grateful for the support Grand Rapids is showing them. They are amazing, humble people.

I stood in line for 3 hours and 45 minutes to view President Ford's casket and it was worth every minute of it. I made some good friends while standing in line even if I never meet them again. By the time I had made it thru the line at 10p, the line had lengthened another 1-2 hours. It was amazing to see the outpour of love and support for President Ford and his family and to be able to be apart of it.

I also saw the processional of President Ford's body from the airport to the Ford Museum earlier that afternoon. We had a mini tailgate get-together on the back of Brook's Bravada. Good bonding time ;D. And it was an honor to see the processional go down the highway.

It was also an honor to be able to pay last respects to President Ford and to be apart of history in the making. What an amazing time to be alive.

God bless the Ford's. Remember them in your prayers.

No comments: