Sunday, May 6, 2007

65,525 steps, Meconium Maidens & Translucent Torpedoes

65,525 is how many steps I took this week! I was the top person in my team of 4, and that is in spite of what happened to me on Monday. I was not anticipating that at all! I thought for sure I'd be towards the bottom of our team. If you are so confused as to what I'm talking about... Spectrum Health is doing the Healthy Heart Steps Challenge once again! We have made teams of 4 and wear pedometers to track our daily steps. Then we add up our steps for the week, submit them to our team captains, who then combines our steps together to average out our team's weekly steps. We are competing against other teams on our unit and t/o the hospital. Way too fun! We keep asking each other how many steps we got in a day at work. 2000 steps = 1 mile. Yesterday, at work alone, I had about 8000 steps, which equals 4 miles! That's a lot of walking at work! Try that office people! ;)

As we do this, we are raising funds for a charity... My team chose Make-A-Wish Foundation. Our team name is the Meconium Maidens. (If you have no idea what meconium is, google it... I'm not going to "gross" anyone out.) Not my first choice, but for what's it's worth, it's cool :) My teammates liked it, so it works. Goes right along w/ our unit's softball team name... Translucent Torpedoes. If you wanna know why... ask me personally and I'll GLADLY tell you the story behind Translucent Torpedoes. In fact, I will soon have a t-shirt that has that on it :)

I love my job and unit!! We have WAY too much fun :)

7 comments:

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Amanda,
Hey, I keep checking back here. I've noticed that no one has commented on your posts of late. I thought I would give you one.

The walking competition sounds really cool! Yeah, I'm an "Office Person". I do enjoy walking though...usually with my headphones around a sub-division.

Anyway, just thought I'd add a "comment" to that lonely zero in your comment section ;)

Amanda said...

Thanks Chad! I've checked out your blog too. Your pics are very cool.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Amanda,
A few days after I went to my latest Schultz concert, I searched for blogs about him. I found this guy who happened to run the merchandise table on the Broken and Beautiful Tour. He talked about being at that same concert I was at. Anyway, I commented to him and let him know I was at that last concert that he worked. Not so long story shorter, He's going to be along with Mark on the "Bike Tour"! Not riding bike, but riding the tour bus and filming kind of a "video diary" I guess you could call it of Mark's progress.

I know you're gonna want to check this out!

Eric Brown's Blog
http://fatdaddye.blogspot.com/

I know I'm going to continue to check back at this guy's site!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

I guess "Eric" is also posting some of his vids here:
http://www.markacrossamerica.org/blog/day-1/#comments

...which you probably already know about this page ;)

But, you'll probably get some more inside info from a different perspective at Eric's site.

Amanda said...

Chad, Thanks for telling me! Those video blogs are so worth checking out. Man, that looks tough. Mark looked so whipped and down-trodden after day 1, but his spirits were back up after day 2. It was so moving to see him pray to start off the trip...

Praying that today went well for him! Go, Mark, GO!! You can do it! Godspeed!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Amanda,
Right on!

Here's his youtube page. You can check back there for new videos.

http://www.youtube.com/SchultzTour

I'm sure there will be songs coming out of this journey.

Amanda said...

Definitely. There will definitley be many songs coming from this journey. I hope he shares all of them w/ us!

After watching his last 3 videos, it would be hard to keep peddling. But it's all a mind game. At least he has plenty of time to rest up in b/t days of biking. He definitely needs them. I love the fact that his crew is goofing off w/ him to help him keep going. To hear that they hid the bus and hauled out lawn chairs, and sat up on a hill in them to watch him go by -> that's hilarious! I'm sure there will be many more pranks/goof-offs going on! I love it that he's sharing them w/ us :D

Keep going Mark! My prayers are with you! You can do it! Today (May 10) is one of the days I said I'd pray for you! Although, my goal is to pray every day for you as you bike. Godspeed!