Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Riding In Style... In An Ambulance

Just when I think my life isn't exciting enough and thinking, "Man, I just don't have anyting to blog about", God decided to send another adrenaline-rushing experience into my life. I seriously was feeling bored last night around 9:30p while chilling out online wondering where everyone was to chat with online... Next thing I know, my sister runs up to my door and says, "Amanda, Mom says to come with us. We are taking Grandma in. She's having chest pain and shortness of breath." Well, if that doesn't get the adrenaline going! That is by and large my FAVORITE drug. In fact, it keeps me up at night sometimes :) So I jump in the van and head off with my mom and sister, and the first question I ask my mom, "Did you or anyone call 911?" "No." "Why?" "I don't know, she just always call us first. Should we?" We are already going down the street and none of us carry a cellphone. "Well", I ask, "Did she sound out of breath? Could she talk? Could she talk in full sentences? Did she sound weak?" No, to all of the above. I decided we should have some time especially if she can get to the phone. If it gets bad enough, hopefully she'll make the necessary call in the 20 minutes it takes for us to get to her. I ask my sister, Amy, "You know CPR right? I don't want to do it alone if it comes to that." "Yeah, I do." "Good." Adrenaline is in full rush... We arrive and the fire truck is there. Thank goodness, someone called 911. My great aunt and uncle were there as well. We walk in and Grandma is sitting in a chair with a fireman taking her vitals. Heart rate was elevated and "fluttering" as she has A. Fib. Pain was minimal. As soon as she saw me walk in, she says to the firemen, there's the nurse! :) Eventually, the paramedics arrive, the older one asks her... "What happened? Was someone chasing you in your sleep? Was he good looking? This is your time to make a good story!" We all start laughing as she's clearly doing okay with minimal pain. The younger paramedic starts talking to her and checking her out. Then they lifted her to the stretcher and said they had room in the ambulance for one person to ride up front. Everyone looked to me and said, "You wanna?" Heck yeah, I do! So I hopped up front, then the older paramedic said they'd be a few minutes and allowed me to sit in the back while they hook her up to a monitor for vitals, take her bp and start an IV. That was pretty cool. I have never been in the back of an ambulance before while they are working. Then the older paramedic and I moved up front while the younger one remained with my grandma. That was really cool as we drove off in style ;). No, the lights stayed off as it wasn't Priority 1 - which means a matter of life and death. We were Priority 2. I must say, I have a deeper respect for firemen and paramedics. Loved interacting with those guys. This ride was a first for me! (For those that are wondering, my grandma is now home and is back to her baseline which still isn't stellar...)

If that's not exciting enough, tomorrow Nancy, my friend and mentor at work in the NICU, and I are making a big presentation about a very sensitive subject in front of approximately 40 people, including the President of the Children's Hospital. To say the least, I'm very nervous as I designed the powerpoint. Nancy researched the content and gave it to me to put up in powerpoint format. That was the first powerpoint I have ever made. I already received two phone calls from my manager saying it looks "beautiful". For my manager to call me at home about it, is huge! This is all God-driven. We would gladly appreciate your prayers for sure... for all to go smoothly and that it will be well received. This powerpoint has the potential to go many places and to be used in various areas in the medical field including Grand Valley State's Nursing program, the Peds ICU and other areas in the hospital. I am floored as God never ceases to amaze me.

3 comments:

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Definitely sounds like a lot of excitement lately!

I see you are using some of your new images for your profiles ;)

When you mentioned MWS in your last comments, it reminded me that I was in attendance at the concert that he recorded his first worship album. It was done here in Lakeland at a church called "Carpenters Home Church". It was an awesome night back in 2001.

Amanda said...

What was phenomenal was that my dad and I attended MWS's Worship concert he did September 10, 2001. The day before 9/11/01. His album came out 9/11/01. I'm amazed by how God works.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Yeah, I had went and got that much needed album that horrific day. I remember having it on that night.