Friday, August 24, 2007

Hangin' w/ Rush of Fools & Brandon Heath

Wes Willis (Rush of Fools) & Amanda


WCSG's Summer Sticker Celebration took place last night in spite of a couple rain showers. We ended up starting about an hour early to avoid some of the rain and Brandon Heath was only able squeeze about 5 songs in before he was down-poured on. Then we took a break till 7p, gave away the big prizes and then Rush of Fools hit up the stage where they were able to do their entire set. They were great! That was my first time ever seeing them in concert as I had met 2 of them at the station earlier this year... Wes and Kevin.

I worked this concert. I love working concerts. Always a good time. Got to hang out w/ Brandon Heath as well as Wes and Kevin from Rush of Fools. Also got to meet the rest of the band - great group of guys for sure.

When I arrived at the venue - nice and early - to set up the merch table, JB arrived with the band at the exact time that I did. Interesting timing. So I hopped out of my car and slowly made my over to them to see what the plan was. As soon as Wes saw me, he said, "Amanda!" and gave me a big ol' hug :) I was then able to meet Jake as well as Brandon Heath. Then we found out we were at the back of the diamond and we had to drive to the front (the venue was a minor league baseball field - the stage being the top of the home team's dugout). So we made our way over there and Marissa had the other half of the band. I met JD and Jamie, and then Kevin came out and as soon as he saw me, he said, "Hey! How's it going?" and gave me a big 'ol hug too :) I must say they have very good memories. I didn't even have to say anything... they remembered me. Honestly tho... I've actually been able to stay in touch with Wes since we met last, so it was great to be able to see them again as well as see them perform. They were awesome. Great guys, great band... so worth checking out: www.rushoffools.com

So after meeting them, we unloaded all their gear for set up and brought it down to the stage for sound checks, etc... I then proceeded to set up Brandon Heath's merch. He came up to me and we just hung out and talked for a little while as I set up his table... JB, Brandon and me. Brandon gave JB some interesting show prep... I said to Brandon, "You really don't want to tell him that as it'll definitely be on WaYfm tomorrow." :) We found out that one of Brandon's first jobs was working in the lady's shoe department. Too funny :) He's also worked at Starbucks, and also what we determined to be an apprenticeship (vs. being an indentured servant as JB was trying to call him) at a radio station or recording studio to learn the ropes prior to launching his own career. He's a pretty cool guy. Fun to talk with.

Then the concert got going and I was in charge of collecting all the tickets after the WCSG staff passed out the other half to listeners as they came in the door. The tix were for the big prizes being given away that night. (It was a free concert if you had a WCSG window/bumper sticker on your car.) I also answered the same question over and over again as the poor listeners were so confused about how to "register" for the prizes even tho they really didn't need to as they had a ticket... Good times :) I always enjoy working with the WCSG team as well as the listeners as we have great ones!

Then after the show, I helped pack up the sound equipment and load up the guys' gear and guitars. Good times. Then as they all left, I received hugs from Jamie, JD and Jake, then a BIG hug from Wes and a really big hug from Kevin :D Good times. Great guys. Check 'em out... www.rushoffools.com

No comments: