Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Drawn in...

Have you ever been drawn to do something even if it's dangerous? I was tonight. I went to visit some friends out in Holland, and after I left, I knew I was extremely close to Lake Michigan. I was so close that I could feel it calling my name. Actually I think it was God telling me to go in the stillness of the night to be still before Him.

The time was 10pm, Holland State Park had just closed and security (or the Coast Guard) had just closed the gates. I was like, I can't be this close to Lake Michigan and not go! I don't get out this way too often. So I thought, I could just drive around a few minutes and go back. When I was debating what to do, I saw the Coast Guard leave. I turned my car around ...time to move. I found a place to park on the street and walked the quarter to half mile to the beach. Now you may think I am crazy being a girl by myself going to the beach alone w/ all the freak stories seen on TV. Even I thought I was crazy. As I was walking out to the beach, I freaked out at anything that resembled human form b/c it was dark and hard to see. But no matter how scared I was, something was drawing me out there. I just kept walking. There was no turning back. I was too close. I had to touch the water.

I made it to the sandy beach. I couldn't hear the waves. Nothing. Still freaking out at anything that resembled human form, I kept walking. Kept my wits about me, looking all around for anything that moved. Did you know seagulls fly around at night? Saw a couple of them... (Sorry, random) I walked the 50-100 yards of beach till at last, I reached the water. Once I made it to the Lake, a wave of peace swept over me. I was still scared, but I was at peace. I knew it was where I was supposed to be.

The water was so still. The mild, sweet-scented breeze from the east. I put my feet in the icy cold water. My feet almost went numb. I continued walking down the beach as the gentle waves lapped up around my feet. It was refreshing. It was peaceful. God's peace filled me. I was scared, but His peace filled me. It was just what I needed. To be filled w/ God's peace. His spirit. His presence. Him.

When I stand on the beaches of Jamaica next week, I will remember this moment w/ God. This moment on Lake Michigan ...my home.

1 comment:

Chad Oneil Myers said...

I'm glad you're ok. Not something I would recommend you doing often!

But, sounds like you had a good time out there with God in the middle of His creation. I'm sure it was beautiful. Were the stars out?