Monday, October 15, 2007

What A Weekend

My first weekend off since Jamaica was an absolute blast. It was so packed with things to do! Saturday entailed going to the mall with my bro for about an hour, then we headed off to apple picking with my friends. My bro decided to go along as he had nothing better planned for the day. Two of my friends, Randi Jo and Alyssa, headed out w/ us to the orchard to meet up w/ Beth and her family. Also at the orchard, we met up w/ Brook and her daughter. A single mom and her son joined us as well. Beth has a total of 5 siblings; add that to the single mom and her son, my brother and me, Beth's parents, Brook and her daughter ~ that's a lot of people! Can you do the math ;) Way too fun!

After apple picking, the Jamaica team (aka family) had a bonfire down in the middle of nowhere at Shane and Brande's home. They have acreage so we had plenty of room to run, explore, hide, carve pumpkins, roast hot dogs and marshmallows, sing and talk about random things around the fire. We started out in traditional Jamaica fam style ~ hugs all around as some of us haven't seen each other in months! Way too long! Then I brought out a football I had bought earlier at Old Navy ~ best $3.75 investment from Old Navy ever! (The last football I bought from Old Navy was $5 and that had stayed at a school in Jamaica ~ those kids at the school loved American football :) ) At the bonfire, we played keep away w/ the football. It started out guys vs. girls... JB, Zach and Bryce vs. Alyssa and me. And yes, the girls held their own! yeah Alyssa! George then joined our team to even it out. Yeah George! We played for at least an hour... till I could run no more, my leg muscles were cramping up and I was so winded I had almost no motivation to move. SO much fun.

After we were worn out, we joined the rest of the group at the fire, roasted a dog and marshmallow or two, hung out with everyone, then got the pumpkin carving going! Granted it was dark, we did it anyway. They turned out great! Fortunately I had a couple flashlights to aid in the carving and avoid anyone losing a finger :O I was done first and it turned out to be one of the best pumpkin designs I have ever done. Then George finished Juice's and put mine to shame :) It was amazing. I had brought lights for them and lit them up. Looked really cool. All the while we were carving, JB and Shane were playing praise & worship songs on their guitars and others were having lively discussions. All in all, it was great bonding time.

After carving pumpkins, I secretly brought out the glow-in-the-dark lotion I had bought at a gas station convenience store before heading down and several of us went off and loaded our faces with it. Then ran out into the dark woods, freaked each other out and managed to get a couple guys to come and check out the commotion. Our faces looked awesome. Reminded me of the scream mask. All that was dark on our faces were our eyes and mouth. After entertaining ourselves with the glow lotion, a bunch of us to played hide and seek in the woods and DARK. That was great! Alyssa, Beth and I were "it' first. Went looking for the guys, but could not find them! We found Dale and he scared the pants off of us. Beth and Alyssa were freaking out the most though! That was funny. George, Juice and Zach still needed to be found. I tried calling George hoping to hear his ringtone... No avail. Tried again. He answered and all I could hear was crinkling leaves. George, where are YOU?! The third time, he ignored me. Kept looking till he jumped out of nowhere with Juice managing to scare the girls once again. Zach was left. We could not find him anywhere. Thought he might have died... JB came out to help us look, but refused to offer any CPR help should Zach have asphyxiated himself... Finally Dale caught wind of Zach and found him alive. Next, Dale, Zach and I hid from JB, Beth and Alyssa. Beth is well known for being scared quite readily. As I hid by a tree w/ the other two guys nearby, JB was entertaining us by scaring Beth every chance he had. I have no idea what he said to her, but I was laughing out loud at listening to her reactions. It was great ...sorry Beth...

After Dale and I were found, Zach was missing still! JB disappeared somewhere while Alyssa, Dale and I con'd looking for Zach. Once Zach was found, I called JB several times thinking he was hiding somewhere in the dark waiting to scare us... he kindly answered w/ his creepy laugh...

What a night as random convos followed at the bonfire. Good times.

Sunday was also packed w/ seeing family from Chicago, San Diego, Iowa and Minnesota. We all went to church together ~ something I haven't done since Jamaica. It was great going to church on Sunday to worship Christ with fellow believers and hear one of my favorite pastors preach ~ Rob Bell.

I also haven't seen my cousin from Cali in years. The first thing she said to me when she saw me, "Your all grown up!" ...if that gives you any idea how long it's been since I've seen her... :) We are both RNs and work in the NICU. We had so much to talk about and catch up on! Plus, I now have her cell number and an invite to visit her! I think a trip to Cali is in store soon :D

What a weekend to have off! Good times all around with family & friends.





No comments: